Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:53:03 +0100
From:      "Michael Ross" <gmx@ross.cx>
To:        "Frederico Costa" <fredports@mufley.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance Related Question

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:38:34 +0100, Frederico Costa <fredports@mufley.com>
wrote:

> On 2013-02-27 22:27, Michael Ross wrote:
>> If I read you right, you didn't ``make -jX buildworld'',
>> with X being the number of processes to spawn,
>> so you used just one core on either machine.
>>  Buildworld does a lot of I/O, so disk speed is relevant.
>
> Yes, i just made "make buildworld".
>
> So i should use make -j2 on the S1(dual core) and -j4 on S2 (2xdualcore)?
>
> And it also makes sense what you say about the I/O.
>
> i will start another to see the results.

Maybe try higher settings.
Handbook ( http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html ) says:

	However, since much of the compiling process is I/O bound rather than CPU
bound, it is also useful on single CPU machines.

	On a typical single-CPU machine, run:
	# make -j4 buildworld

	make(1) will then have up to 4 processes running at any one time.
Empirical evidence posted to the mailing lists shows this generally gives
the best performance benefit.

	On a multi-CPU machine using an SMP configured kernel, try values between
6 and 10 and see how they speed things up.

> Thanks
>
> fred
>
>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 23:05:44 +0100, Frederico Costa
>> <fredports@mufley.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone...
>>>  I have a kind of interesting question when comes to performance of
>>> FreeBSD in different HW. i am not trying to come up with a scientific
>>> reason for measuring performance. :-)
>>>  It is just a curiosity, and of course to see if i understand it and
>>> improve performance of my systems.
>>>  i am running 2 systems at the moment, lets call them S1 and S2,
>>> running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p1 amd64:
>>>  S1:
>>> Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz
>>> 2GB RAM
>>> 500GB disk (not important probably just for reference)
>>>  S2:
>>> 2x Dual-Core AMD Opteron 2216 2.4GHz
>>> 14GB Ram