Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:13:58 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Caleb J. Land" <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Return mail address configuration

Caleb J. Land said on Jul 29, 2000 at 01:40:57:
> Hello all,
> 	This isn't specific to BSD, but I figured that the kind dwellers
> of this list might have the knowledge I seek. =)
>
> 	I've recently moved my personal mail from Outlook to the standard
> UNIX mail system (pine-like, not mh-like).  I get my mail from my ISP's
> pop-3 server.  I've set up fetchmail to get the mail, procmail to filter
> it out (different mailing lists), and I use pine/arrow (an X client which
> is compatible with pine's mail format) to read/send mail (I believe
> they
> use the local sendmail to send mail). The only problem
> is that when I send a message out it appears to come from
> caleb@deepthought.granfalloon.com (my domain), but I can't recieve mail at
> that address because incoming port 25 is blocked by my ISP, so I have to
> use my account on their system.
>
> 	Now the punch line: how do I configure pine (or the whichever
> piece of software I have to configure) to make my return address into my
> real mail address (bokonon@rochester.rr.com)?  I've read man pages and web
> pages to no avail.

With pine, you'll need to recompile to allow it to set the From:
header -- I think by default it doesn't allow that, but there's an
option somewhere in the config file to allow it which you should
turn on before recompiling.  Then in your pine Setup -> Config menu,
go to the "default-composer-headers" item and add a
  From: bokonon@rochester.rr.com
Alternatively, change your username on your local machine to bokonon
and set the "user domain" item in the pine config to rochester.rr.com
-- you can do that without recompiling.

With mutt, or netscape or many other email clients, you can set
the From: header to what you like.

Rahul.