Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:33:01 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Bruce Hunter <freebsd@solisix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re-arranging disk slice allocation

Bruce Hunter <freebsd@solisix.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have a headless server running and when I first setup the system I
> messed up the disk slice allocations. I would like to know how it is
> possible to take allocations from one and give it to another?
>

> > Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/ad0s1a   508M    57M   410M    12%    /
> > devfs         1.0K   1.0K     0B   100%    /dev
> > /dev/ad0s1g    11G   6.1G   4.3G    59%    /home
> > /dev/ad0s1d  1037M    12K   954M     0%    /tmp
> > /dev/ad0s1f   7.3G   1.5G   5.2G    22%    /usr
> > /dev/ad0s1e    12G    31M    11G     0%    /var
>
> for some reason I did a bo bo and gave /var 12G of space! I want
> to give it to /home, b/c that's where I have my NFS folder. How would
> I got about doing this?

You partitions appear to be ordered on the disk thusly:
/, swap, /tmp, /var, /usr, /home

Because of this, you can't repartition /var and /home without also
repartitioning /usr.  At that point, you're almost reinstalling.
What you'd have to do is back up /var, /usr, and /home, then repartition
those three, and then restore to the new /var, /usr, /home.

You could always symlink the directory in /home to some location on
/var to get most of what you want.  See 'man ln'.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies