Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:16:28 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Andrey Degtyaryov <ad@astral-on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TOS matching in ipfw2

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 05:21:26PM +0300, Andrey Degtyaryov wrote:
>  Hello!
>  Why iptos takes only the limited set of  "spec" values in ipfw2?  It would
> be much more convenient, if "spec" could be any number. Why was it neccessary
> to apply such restriction?

i think i just copied whatever ipfw1 did. I believe there are no problems
extending the tos to match any number (or ranges, for what matters).

Many are asking me if i intend to implement ipfw2 actions which actually
modify the packet being processed.
The answer is yes, but i would like first to come up with a good
syntax for those actions, e.g.:

    ipfw add 100 accept "ip.dst = 1.2.3.4, ip.tos=25" ip from a to b

Of course one would want the syntax for packet modifications to be
as general as possible, but i'd rather not need a full blown
compiler to compile such actions...

Suggestions welcome

	cheers
	luigi