Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 12:58:59 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        William Freeman <wdf@picusnet.com>
Cc:        ipthomas@mindspring.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User PPP as non-root user (was: [no subject])

William Freeman wrote:

> Ironicly, User PPP doesn't play well with users, while Kernel PPP
> doesn't really care. use kernel ppp and that will solve that problem.

This smells like FUD to me.  I guess user PPP's manpage says this for a
reason:

         allow user[s] logname...
             By default, only user id 0 is allowed access to ppp. If this com-
             mand is used, all of the listed users are allowed access to the
             section in which the ``allow users'' command is found.  The
             `default' section is always checked first (even though it is only
             ever automatically loaded at startup).  Each successive ``allow
             users'' command overrides the previous one, so it's possible to
             allow users access to everything except a given label by specify-
             ing default users in the `default' section, and then specifying a
             new user list for that label.

             If user `*' is specified, access is allowed to all users.

Also, please send mail in plain text next time, HTML mail is not
appreciated by many people.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D