Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 12:02:35 -0400
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@bellcore.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   2.0 kernels with debugging symbols

When I was running 1.1.5.1 and compiled a kernel with -g, the makefile
kindly produced both a stripped and unstripped kernel.  I could
install the stripped version in / (where there is not much space) and
examine crash dumps using the version with symbols.

Now I am running the 950322 SNAP, and "config -g" followed by make
produces a 7MB kernel which won't fit in my root partion.  Also,
"strip -x kernel" produces a kernel that won't boot.  Is there any way
to have my cake and eat it too?  Eg, have a kernel with only global
symbols for installation while saving a version with symbols for
debugging?

andrew