Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:06:38 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <netchild@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        sahil@tandon.net, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: has Postfix new location of aliases.db?

Quoting Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org> (from Thu, 4 Jun 2009
13:53:18 +0300):

> On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:06:10 +0200
> Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote:
>
>> Was something changed in Postfix defaults?
>> After upgrade from postfix-2.5.6,1 to postfix-2.6.1,1 and restart of
>> postfix, I got following error in /var/log/maillog
>>
>> fatal: open database /etc/mail/aliases.db: No such file or directory
>>
>> All previous versions were using /etc/aliases.db, new version expect
>> /etc/mail/aliases.db
>>
>> newaliases command re-generate aliases.db in the new location.
>>

>> root@fido ~/# ls -al /etc/aliases*
>> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    12B Feb 24  2008 /etc/aliases@ ->
>> mail/aliases -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    12K Jan 20
>> 11:30 /etc/aliases.db
>>
>> root@fido ~/# ls -al /etc/mail/aliases*
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   1.7K Oct 22  2008 /etc/mail/aliases
>>
>> root@fido ~/# newaliases
>>
>> root@fido ~/# ls -al /etc/mail/aliases*
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   1.7K Oct 22  2008 /etc/mail/aliases
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    12K Jun  4 11:39 /etc/mail/aliases.db
>>
>> If this is expected behavior, this should be mentioned in UPDATING.
>>
>> machine details:
>> FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Fri May  1 08:49:13 UTC 2009
>> root@walker.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>>
>> fresh ports tree updated by `portsnap fetch update`, postfix upgraded
>> by `portmaster postfix-2.5.6,1`
>
> I got bitten by  this also, but I though it was only my lack of
> attention.

It seems it is creating the .db in the directory where the symlink is
pointing to, instead in the directory where the symlink is (I assume
the original poster used his previous config without changing the
alias stuff). I haven't found something related in the postfix
changelog. Concerned people should maybe ask on the postfix ML if this
is intended or not.

Bye,
Alexander.

For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.