Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:58:48 -0500
From:      Andy Firman <andy@firman.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't kldload pf

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:54:44AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:46, Andy Firman wrote:
> > Hmmmm...interesting!!    Would this for for /usr/src/sys/modules/ipfilter ?
> >
> > I am having this problem:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=70401
>
> Yes, that module makefile honours the NO_INET6 flag too.
> You might want to put it in /etc/make.conf.

That works.  I was able to build and load the module with no reboot.
So for the OP, this should apply to you with pf instead of ipfilter.
Here are some notes from doing this on my test system:

Found a solution to my problem.  One must add an entry to /etc/make.conf
and then you can rebuild the module, load it, and get the firewall going
with no reboot.  Below is a summary of doing this with my TEST kernel
having the INET6 option commented out.

su-3.00# kldload -v ipl
kldload: can't load ipl.ko: No such file or directory

su-3.00# uname -a
FreeBSD localhost 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Mon Mar 14 16:08:45 EST 2005
andy@localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TEST  i386

must add NOINET6=YES to /etc/make.conf before you make the new module.....

su-3.00# cd /usr/src/sys/modules/ipfilter/

su-3.00# make

su-3.00# make install

su-3.00# kldload -v ipl

Nothing returned to therefore loaded properly...!!!!!

su-3.00# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    6 0xc0400000 59f308   kernel
 2    1 0xc15fb000 17000    linux.ko
 3    1 0xc1670000 16000    ipl.ko

su-3.00# ipfstat -in
empty list for ipfilter(in)

su-3.00# ipfstat -on
empty list for ipfilter(out)

su-3.00# ipf -Fa -f /etc/ipf.rules

This locks up your session. Must login again and start new session.....
Success upon new login in which the rules are working!!!