Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:49:22 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Gareth Bailey <freebsd@xiplan.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD - questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: amavisd - virusalert@example.com in maillog

In the last episode (Mar 11), Gareth Bailey said:
> I've got the following message appearing in my maillog over and over:
>
> maillog:4050:Mar 11 16:54:04 server postfix/smtp[7103]: D892D434C: to=<virusalert@example.com>, relay=none, delay=255114, status=deferred (connect to example.com[192.0.34.166]: Operation timed out)
>
> I can't seem to find where in the config file (amavisd.conf) it is specified. I've set the $mydomain variable and my notification reports in the same config file are as follows:

That has nothing to do with amavisd.  The server is trying to send an
email to virusalert@example.com, and is failing because the connection
to example.com (192.0.34.166) is timing out.  You might want to take a
look at the message in the queue and see if you mistyped an address, or
if it's a virus bounce.  example.com is an IANA reserved domain for use
in documentation or other places a dummy domainname is needed.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com