Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:34:01 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Lipe <robertlipe@usa.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: contigmalloc, M_WAITOK, & leaks.

> If busdma is "pretty broken" for network-sized requests, I may just
> avoid it for now, implement the contigmalloc cache, and move on to more
> interesting problems.

It's broken for network-sized requests because it uses contigmalloc. 8)

The cache approach will work equally well for either interface; the
busdma interface is "more correct".  At some point, some changes in the
busdma interface will make it possible for you to throw out a lot of code
related to doing s/g for network drivers.

For now, to work around the network interface problem you can just
defragment outbound packets into a single buffer; this is the 'extra
copy' tradeoff you mentioned.  Once busdma is fixed, that can go away.