Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:46:44 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        <scrappy@hub.org>, <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: multi-level categories

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >           .../patches/patch-aa
> >           .../patches/patch-ab
> Just curious, but why not merge all the patch-* files into one large
> patch, and move *that* to the top level?  I could never quite figure out
> the reason for several small files ...
As much as I advocate fewer files, I can certainly see the advantage to a
maintainer when he is allowed multiple patch files IF he uses the "privledge"
appropriately.

Examine WHY there are any patches in the first place.
Some of the patches are because FreeBSD has chosen a different file structure
for the installation. Many "authors" don't really care about supporting
multiple systems in the first place. Our maintainer is forced to make patches
to conform to the FreeBSD way of doing things. Others consider multi-platform
only in the sense of their code and not the installation. These patches are
likely to persist for a long time.

There are additional patches which conform system calls to our libraries.
As our libraries change or the "author" makes an effort to support our
libraries, these patches may disappear.

A third category are outright bug fixes that our maintainer fixes before the
"author" has a chance to update his distribution. These are likely to
disappear soon.

Each patch may affect multiple files. By grouping the patches by subject, the
maintainer can simplify the task of reviewing them when it comes time to make
an update.

Those are the reasons off the top of my head. Perhaps others can add more.
However, these are enough to satisfy me that it is reasonable to allow multiple
patches.

Oh, another reason comes to mind. Some authors regularly distribute patches
themselves. It may be better for us to hold to a fixed base and patch it with
the author's patches rather than scrub everything and start from a new base.

This is particularly true if the base is huge and the patches are small.

--
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@Dataplex.NET