Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 00:58:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mats Lofkvist <mal@sophocles.algonet.se>
Cc:        lyndon@orthanc.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hysterical Raisons

> [31% of ports collection go into /usr/X11R6]
>
> I found this fact a pain in the ass the last time I upgraded XFree86...
>
> Why not put the X ports into /usr/local/{bin,...}/X11 or something?

Because resource and include files, among other things, are found by
default under the X11R6 hierarchy (various parts of the X11 framework
makes assumptions about this).  It was therefore deemed a less evil
compromise to stick everything into /usr/X11R6 rather than have a port
scatter files into two separate hierarchies.

					Jordan