Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:56:51 +0100
From:      "Ken Gordon" <ken@magneticscrolls.com>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: prismII for 4.x

Many thanks, it works* now, the only hassle was working out why my Linksys
ethernet card stopped!

BTW what is the situation with  (a) Ad-Hoc mode and (b) using a FreeBSD
machine as an AP. In linux land the there is no support for Ad-Hoc as yet
and using a linux box as an AP involves downloading special firmware to the
card. This firmware isn't easily available and the driver author is not
interested in supporting access points.

To explain what I'm doing - I've got a StrongArm machine (iPaq) running
linux (I may move to NetBSD if I have time) using a WL100 card as a kind of
hand held terminal. I'd like it to talk to a FreeBSD machine via wireless.
The packets don't need to go anywhere after that (ie the FreeBSD box has no
other network card) (yet). The iPaq can only be a 'station' (since no ad-hoc
support) so the PC box has to be an AP.

Thanks again! This was MUCH less pain than it might have been!

    Ken

* well I can ping!