Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:02:50 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xhost +localhost

Louis LeBlanc wrote:
> On 02/02/05 06:58 PM, Gert Cuykens sat at the `puter and typed:
>> i want a screensaver but the ....... xscreensaver daemon wont start
>> complaining about acces controle. I did xhost +localhost but it still
>> wont start :(
>
> If you're trying this on 5.3, the syntax has changed.  Try something
> like this:
>
> xhost local:
>
> Exactly as typed above.

Please tell me you are joking.

I remember learning to use "xhost +" in 1989 or '90 on X11--, before the
command improved to take hostnames as arguments to control which connections
were allowed and which should be refused on a per-host basis.  At the time,
there were so few machines running X that malicious X connections were not a
significant concern.

Having "xhost +localhost" work the same way as "xhost +foo.cmu.edu"-- to avoid
treating the local host as a special case-- was a good idea fifteen years ago.

I do not have a perfect record of suggesting things in a way that does not
break backwards compatibility, but one should attempt to make the distinction
between "changing something which was broken in order to get to something
reasonable" and "changing something reasonable into something broken".

--
-Chuck