Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 13:43:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with Dell Inspiron 5000 installation

I just got a new Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook and have already installed
Windows 98 on the first 60% of the 12Gig disk.  Now I want to install
FreeBSD 4.0-Release in the rest 40% of the disk. I met the following
problems:

(1) After booting from the two floppies, I try to do fdisk in
sysinstall.  But it says "no disk".

(2) I can not let the notebook to boot from CD-ROM.  I have the first
bootable CD-ROM that I used on desktop PCs with no problems.  I can not
press DEL to bring up the BIOS screen during bootup.

(3) I want to configure X-windows on this notebook.  How do I choose the
frequence for the monitor and resolution for the video card?  I read from
the XFree86 site that incorrect setting could damage monitors.

(4) Is the Xircom CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 card supported in
4.0? How to configure it if so?

The manuals come with the laptop do not contain these information.  The
notebook is described at
http://www.dell.com/us/en/hied/products/spec_inspn_5000_notebooks.htm.

Any help is appreciated.

-Zhihui