Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 17:45:06 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Bryan Cassidy <bryanc2000@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Domains

On Saturday, Nov 2, 2002, at 15:49 US/Pacific, Rick Hamell wrote:

>> Well, I had a reply about one of my questions with one link to one
>> site so I'm asking just this "one" question again to the list. I am
>> wanting to buy and host a domain myself with apache on my freebsd
>> box. I would like some recomendations on some companies that offer
>> domains for a pretty good price along with the link to their
>> website. Please include if the site only offers .com, .org, .net or
>
> I go through www.directnic.com. $15/year

I've been quite pleased with godaddy.com, despite the odd name.  $8
/year.

>> all.Well, I said one question but I'm gonna ask another one but
>> real quick. If I have my own domain and manage it with apache myself
>> am I still limited to space? Do I still have a sertain amount of
>> content in MB's or whatever that I can use? Thanks in advance

You are confusing the various services.  A domain name is just that - a
name.  "boiledpetunias.com" is a domain name (god, I hope it's not!).
Providing name servers to provide responses for that domain name,  web
servers that answer to that name, mail servers to collect mail destined
for that name, etc. are all different issues.  Try secondary.com for
backup name services - beyond that, Google for something like "how to
host a web site" and do a little reading to come up to speed.

KeS