Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:04:48 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AVerMedia AVerTV Hybrid FM PCI & PCCCARD

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O

On Thursday, 15 March 2007 at 12:08:37 +0000, Da Rock wrote:
> Ok guys, I know I might be pretty new to this but I think we need to get
> this card worked out here. I have a laptop that I want to put BSD on, but I
> have a TV tuner which is incompatible. I also know that I'm not the only
> one who can't get this card to work. And so far all we've gotten from the
> manufacturer is a brush off.
>
> This card works well, just not under windows... and I know that it will be
> exceptional under BSD once it can be added.

You don't say which card you're talking about.  The subject line
discusses two, but the attachment shows something completely
different.

If you're talking about the AVerTV Hybrid FM PCI, just by chance I
bought one yesterday, with the intention to install it in a box
running KnoppMyth.  Unfortunately, the latest version of KnoppMyth
doesn't recognize it, though possibly other distros will.

> We now know that this tuner uses a Xcieve chipset along with a
> Philips SAA chip.

See http://www.lemis.com/grog/Photos-20070321.html#avertv-hybrid-5 and
preceding photos for confirmation.

I've read some contradictory stuff about this particular card.  It
seems that there are two versions.  See
http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/AVerMedia_AverTV_Hybrid_FM_PCI_A16D
for some self-contradictory information about the state of support.
The one I have seems to be recent enough to require the bleeding edge
drivers.

> Now I have to admit that I haven't done much driver creation, but I
> would like to get out there and help move this along a bit and make
> this happen.  What do we need to do? What more info do we need to
> make a working driver?

I'd expect that a careful investigation of the Linux drivers would
help considerably.  Maybe a good start would to be to get somebody to
document what needs to be done to create a FreeBSD driver with the
Linux driver as model.  I don't think that porting drivers would work;
the code structure is too different, and then there's the problem with
the license.

> Now I may be on the wrong track, but there is a linux driver which
> works ok. I tried it on FC4, but I haven't been successful in
> upgrading to FC5 so far. Can we use this driver and do some RE to
> make one for BSD?

It would be nice to know which card you're talking about here.  I
don't think that FC4 would support the card I'm talking about.  I'll
try FC6 as soon as I've addressed my graphics driver issues.

Greg

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O--