Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:39:20 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server
References:  <4EE1EAFE.3070408@m5p.com> <CAJ-FndDniGH8QoT=kUxOQ%2BzdVhWF0Z0NKLU0PGS-Gt=BK6noWw@mail.gmail.com> <4EE2AE64.9060802@m5p.com> <4EE88343.2050302@m5p.com> <CAFHbX1%2B5PttyZuNnYot8emTn_AWkABdJCvnpo5rcRxVXj0ypJA@mail.gmail.com> <4EE933C6.4020209@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <CAPjTQNEJDE17TLH-mDrG_-_Qa9R5N3mSeXSYYWtqz_DFidzYQw@mail.gmail.com> <20111215024249.GA13557@icarus.home.lan> <4EE9A2A0.80607@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <CADWvR2hpooV4Sdkzor6oHpXWkLCz0z0UxBB_-nnrnYLeUY5oow@mail.gmail.com>

--------------enig8C1553888582332653719232

On 12/20/11 21:20, Igor Mozolevsky wrote:
> Interestingly, while people seem to be (arguably rightly) focused on
> criticising Phoronix's benchmarking, nobody has offered an alternative
> benchmark; and while (again, arguably rightly) it is important to
> benchmark real world performance, equally, nobody has offered any
> numbers in relation to, for example, HTTP or SMTP, or any other "real
> world"-application torture tests done on the aforementioned two
> platforms... IMO, this just goes to show that "doing is hard" and
> "criticising is much easier" (yes, I am aware of the irony involved in
> making this statement, but someone has to!)
>=20
>=20
> Cheers,
> Igor M :-)

Unfortunately, M. Larabel is the only one who's performing benchmarks on
FreeBSD, comparing its performance to the Linux-opponents. Adn indeed,
there is a lot of criticism, but no alternative.
I said unfortunately - not offensive - since Larabel and Phoronix are
sadly the only ones who do actually such bechmarking.

It would be much more nicer and kind to support those people.

Well, in January/February we get new hardware. One box is supposed to do
number crunching via 12 cores and a TESLA GPU. My colleague is
developing a high parallelized peice of software for satellite data
transformation. The software package is CPU bound, partially GPU, but
massively memory hungry (96 to 128 GB RAM is needed).
What I can offer is, since I will also work on that machine and I've
free hand to administer, in the spare time of doing my PhD, installing
FreeBSD 9.0/10.0 besides SuSe Linux and looking forward having one ZFS
data storage drive for homes, so both systems can perform on a most
recent ZFS. I'm new to Linux, not a BSD guru, nor I'm a professional
programmer/developer. My skills are sufficient for the daily scientific
work. So, without pressure, I'm willing to perform some HPC benchmarks
under advice if the day comes and those interested in bare numbers of
FreeBSD vs. Linux performance with a real-world-scientific application.

I would appreciate to see some of the developers and/or FreeBSD hackers
to help Phoronix setting up a proper testenvironment instead of bashing
M. Larabel and his fellows.

Regards,
Oliver