Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 23:03:40 +0200
From:      Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail in -stable and aliases

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 01:38:06PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> Did you try restarting sendmail?

No, I hadn't, and this was the cause of the grief. After a HUP sendmail behavied
well again.

> > On a related note I also have problems installing the majordomo aliases (I get a
> > strange error from newaliases), which I posted on freebsd-ports.
>
> The port installs the alias file in an insecure fashion.  The
> diagnostic from 'newaliases' makes this fairly clear.  You need to
> change the ownership of the directory containing the alias file.

This is also very correct. I just copied the majordomo aliases over to /etc and now
they have all the protection they need.

About the `restarting sendmail' trap: I had looked through the man pages and found
nothing suggesting a restart. Should this be mentioned in newaliases at least?

On the other hand there are some parts of sendmail.cf

> # automatically rebuild the alias database?
> #O AutoRebuildAliases

implying that it might even be safe to not issue newaliases at all, if these entries
had been uncommented. (But then this might be the reasin they are commented).

Thanks for the *very* fast replies! You made my day (or better night on this part of the
world).

Regards, Axel.
--
Axel Thimm   Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de Axel.Thimm@ifh.de