Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:51:49 +0300
From:      Juhani Tali <juhani@kernel.ee>
To:        miha@ghuug.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: confusion with natd

Mikhail P. wrote:

> HOST_A:
> FreeBSD, serves as gateway (NAT) for LAN (192.168.0.0/24)
> has two NICs:
> rl0 - internal (192.168.0.1)
> rl1 - external (connected to DSL modem), runs natd (natd -n rl1)
> net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
> openvpn from ports
>
> HOST_B:
> FreeBSD, remote host, single NIC, public IP.
> net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
> openvpn from ports

I would set it up like so:

This one in host B
> natd -interface rl1

And this in host A
> natd -port 8568 -interface tun0

You need to translate all the 192.168.0.x to tunnel's address and you
cannot do it in host B, because it has no direct connection to 192.168.0.x.
Another solution is with routing, so host B has direct access to the
192.168.0.x network.

> I have been pulling hair off my poor head for few hours on this issue, but did
> not come to solution, so I'm looking for advises.

Juhani Tali