Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:59:32 -0600
From:      Gordon work <user0@tkgeomap.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek 8111B LAN Chipset

> >However it seems many
> >of the popular motherboards have Realtek ALC888 as built-in audio and
> >Realtek 8111B as built-in LAN.
> >I read at:
> >
> >http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/i386/article.html
> >
> >that the sound should work but I couldn't find any info on the LAN.
> >Does anyone on the list have any experience with it?
> >
> >By the way, I'm going to run FreeBSD 7.

The RealTek LAN works fine on my box.  Audio from Realtek ALC883 also works,
but I would not know about ALC888.

tkgeomap502$ uname -a
FreeBSD localhost 7.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 7.0-BETA3 #5: Fri Dec 21 22:03:40 CST 2007     root@localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  amd64

tkgeomap503$ dmesg | grep -i realtek
re0: <RealTek 8168/8111B PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xdc00-0xdcff mem 0xfdaff000-0xfdafffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci2
pcm0: <HDA Codec: Realtek ALC883>

Note that I'm on U.S. cable internet, so I'm not too worried about network
performance.

This is on Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard (AMD 690G chipset).  Everything works,
although ACPI appears to be inaccessible.

Cheers,
Gordon