Date:        Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:27:16 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning "New" Hard Drive

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 04:04:02PM -0500, media@mail1.nai.net wrote:

> I just reformatted my hard drive, using FORMAT.EXE.  I am going to
> re-install Windows 95 and FreeBSD.  Should I use FIPS to partition the
> drive after installing Windows, or is there a better way now, while the
> drive is still empty??

The way I would do it is as follows:
Use Fdisk to create a partition (or "slice" in BSD-speak) where windows
will live. Let the rest of the disk be unused.
Install Windows in that partition (which will be known as C: to Windows).
Install FreeBSD. Use sysinstall to create a second slice where FreeBSD
will live and continue with the installation as usual.

> Also if I use FDISK to format the drive, it asked me if I want to use FAT32
> for larger hardrives (it's a 1G IDE), but then warns me I might have
> trouble with other operating systems.  Does FreeBSD have trouble with
> FAT32??  Wouldn't installing Windows 95 make the allocation table for the
> DOS partition FAT32 anyway??
Since only the very last versions of Windows95 had support for FAT32 I think
you can install it on a normal FAT disk. (My copy of Win95 doesn't know
about FAT32 so I have no experience with it.)
For such a small disk the advantages of FAT32 over normal FAT are probably
not very big anyway.

> Also, if I use FIPS 2.0 to split my DOS partition in order to install
> FreeBSD, then re-install Windows 95, then the Boot Manager disappears and
> no longer lets me boot FreeBSD.  Is there a solution to this??

Installing Windows 95 always wipes out any boot-managers. Therefore you
should install The boot manager after installing Windows95.