Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 12:50:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Creating a /home partition

Hi!

I'm running low of disk space on /usr, and I decided to move /usr/home to
its own /home partition.

I tried one thing... I did a setup of the new partition using
/stand/sysinstall, giving all the space left to /home.

To make things clearer, I must expose my disk layout, and I must precise
that I have *no* possiblity of backup.

fdisk:--------------------------------
******* Working on device /dev/rwd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=782 heads=128 sectors/track=63 (8064 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=782 heads=128 sectors/track=63 (8064 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 3072384, size 3233664 (1578 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 381/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 781/ sector 63/ head 127
The data for partition 3 is:
sysid 11,(DOS or Windows 95 with 32 bit FAT)
    start 8064, size 1064448 (519 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 1/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 132/ sector 63/ head 127
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 1072512, size 1999872 (976 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 133/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 380/ sector 63/ head 127

The last slice is the one I want to reserve to FreeBSD. The problem is
that when I used sysinstall to create the new slice, it installed it
into the first slice, /dev/wd0s1. Then the system could not boot, because
it could only find the /home partition which contained only homes, no
swap, no kernel, no "/bin". Now, I tried ( as you can see by the fdisk
output) to put it in wd0s4 instead, but I just ahieved to create the MBR
entry with entry, and I couldn't create the disklabel. In fact, I never
achieved the creation of a brand new BSD parition, disklabel always giving
me something like:
disklabel: ioctl: DGCINFO, invalid argument. or something like that...

So, what I ask is:

-why wasn't FreeBSD able to boot from anything else than my wd0s1? Is it
because it was the first on the drive?

-How am I supposed to create a partition, outside of the sysinstall
utility?

-If I create the /home partition on wd0s4 instead of wd0s1, will it work
better?

-Do I need to put something else thatn a plain partition on the /home
patition?

Thanks!!!

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |