Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:01:46 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Caleb J. Land" <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Return mail address configuration

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 at 12:13:58 +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> Caleb J. Land said on Jul 29, 2000 at 01:40:57:

[snip..]

> > 	Now the punch line: how do I configure pine (or the whichever
> > piece of software I have to configure) to make my return address
> > into my real mail address (bokonon@rochester.rr.com)?  I've read man
> > pages and web pages to no avail.
>
> With pine, you'll need to recompile to allow it to set the From:
> header -- I think by default it doesn't allow that, but there's an
> option somewhere in the config file to allow it which you should
> turn on before recompiling.  Then in your pine Setup -> Config menu,
> go to the "default-composer-headers" item and add a
>   From: bokonon@rochester.rr.com
> Alternatively, change your username on your local machine to bokonon
> and set the "user domain" item in the pine config to rochester.rr.com
> -- you can do that without recompiling.

You don't need to recompile pine to do that.  Read
http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/changing_from/.  You simply
need to add a few things to your .pinerc (described on that page).

- jim

--
/* jim mock - BSDi - open source solutions division - jim@bsdi.com */
/* documentation manager - jim@FreeBSD.org - jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com */