Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 1995 20:12:58 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tcl 7.4 / Tk 4.0 Ports

    Satoshi>  * According to the various README-style files, *both*
    Satoshi> tcl7.4 and tk4.0 * are somewhat incompatible with scripts
    Satoshi> written for tcl7.3 and tk4.0.  * * In my own repertoire
    Satoshi> of scripts, all of my tcl-only scripts work fine * with
    Satoshi> tcl7.4.  It's a different story with my tk4.0 scripts,
    Satoshi> though.

    Satoshi> Ok, seems like it's too dangerous to lose tcl-7.3, and we
    Satoshi> definitely can't erase tk-3.6.  Now, what should we do?

    Satoshi> tk-4.0 should probably go in to a new directory "tk4",
    Satoshi> should we do the same thing for "tcl74"?  Ugh....

At least the out-of-the-box install for both tcl7.4 and tk4.0 don't
clobber exiting files.  Ousterhout's added version numbers to the
names of the directories, the libraries, and the executables.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

Whenever I hear the sparrow chirping, watch the woodpecker chirp,
catch a chirping trout, or listen to the sad howl of the chirp rat, I
think: Oh boy!  I'm going insane again.  -- Jack Handey