Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 1996 08:55:33 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jfieber@indiana.edu, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should this port go in ?

asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami) wrote:

>  * The idea I had was to modify install to (optionally) log
>  * installations.  The logging could be controlled either through
>
> This is a really cool idea.  But install is not the only program that
> is used, there is cp (I know this is wrong), touch, tar, and maybe
> cpio.  And the whole directory copies that use tar/cpio is the ones
> that are most hard to keep track of.

Would it make sense to put a directory at the front of $PATH just for ports
that has a collection of wrapper scripts? Then maybe you could stick a 'tar'
script in there that figures out what's going on and does an extra 'tar t' to
get the filenames?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org