Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2014 16:40:53 +0200
From:      "Olli Hauer" <ohauer@gmx.de>
To:        "Chris Rees" <crees@physics.org>, "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        pgsql@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: postgresql-server depends on client.  Why?

   In case the dependency on thr client will be removed all ports
   depending on the server alone at the moment should be checked if they
   also require the client part.
   Additional clients should not define a conflict with server versions <
   client version
   --
   Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

   Chris Rees <crees@physics.org> wrote:

     Hi Dan,
     [1]http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/databases/postgresql90-serve
     r/Makefile?revision=286930&view=markup#l64
     It was always supposed to be the case, however I agree that it's
     probably not necessary.
     Anyone mind if it doesn't depend?
     Chris
     On 17 October 2014 15:12:51 BST, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
     wrote:
     >Why is postgresql-server dependent upon postgresql-client?
     >
     >This wasn't the case in the past and seems to be the case not.
     >
     >Not all server installations need the client.
     >
     >In addition, upgrading the client before upgrading the server is
     >standard procedure:
     >
     >[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/upgrading.html
     >
     >i.e. upgrade the client, pg_dump using the new client, then upgrade
     >server, pg_restore.
     >
     >Thanks
     >
     >--
     >Dan Langille