Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 14:02:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk (Ben Smithurst)
Cc:        courtney@whtz.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: home directory permissions

Ben Smithurst wrote,
> courtney@whtz.com wrote:
>
> >      I am trying to add a user with his home directory on a different hard
> > drive (storage limitations), Free BSD will let me add the user just fine,
> > but my MTA tries to deliver mail it reports an error or "world write-able
> > directory"..SO here is my question- what permissions do I need to assign to
> > the home directory?  and what command will give me those (i.e. chmod
> > ??????)
>
> well, there's no single answer, it depends how much privacy your
> users want.  It will almost certainly need user read/write/execute,
> possibly with group/other read/execute too (that's 700 for just user
> read/write/execute, or 755 for user read/write/execute + group/other
> read/execute). Look at what permissions YOUR home directory has, for
> example, and use that. You really should be able to work out an octal
> permission mode from the information produced by "ls -ld $HOME".

But to get back to the sendmail angle, sendmail is griping because if
the directory is world-writeable, anyone can change the .forward file
and direct that user's email wherever they'd like. You need to remove
other and group write permissions,

# chmod go-w /home/joeuser

For read and execute permissions, Ben provided more info. See also
chmod(1) and ls(1).