Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:41:38 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        martin von schantz <schantz@hotpotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 11:24:52AM -0700, martin von schantz wrote:
> Hi, I can't stop wondering if there really is a thought behind
> placing the sshd daemon startup in rc.conf and not in inetd.conf. Is
> there anyone that might know why?
>
> /Martin von Schantz

Reading the documentation for sshd is a good way to find the answer.
In this case the manpage for sshd(8) contains the following:

  -i   Specifies that sshd is being run from inetd.  sshd is normally
       not run from inetd because it needs to generate the server key
       before it can respond to the client, and this may take tens of
       seconds.  Clients would have to wait too long if the key was
       regenerated every time.  However, with small key sizes (e.g.,
       512) using sshd from inetd may be feasible.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson