Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 10:26:23 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: todays -current

> BTW, I would like to get ctrl-alt-del to shutdown the machine cleanly for
> problems like this to avoid fsck on next boot, should this be possible?  We
> use pcvt, if that matters.

First of all, I don't think the current pcvt sources don't have the ability to
shutdown the system using <CTL><ALT><DEL>, although it should be trivial
to add.

Second, if the system isn't even running, you won't be able to shut it
down using <CTL><ALT><DEL> very well since it was originally designed to
shutdown a normally running system, and not one that is completely
messed up.  When things go wrong like you're seeing, it may not even work
correctly.

But, it you want to add the shutdown functionality to pcvt, look at the
code that calls 'shutdown_nice()' in syscons and add it to pcvt.

Nate