Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2018 18:39:05 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        Denis Polygalov <dpolyg@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: testing Weston Wayland compositor on FreeBSD without Xorg

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM, Denis Polygalov <dpolyg@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'm trying to run Weston port:
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10599
>
> on a machine (let's say "host A") with and without using Xorg.
> I'm using approach previously described by Greg:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2018-July/021414.html
>
> It works on the host A if launched under Xorg.
> The same approach works on host B (drm-next-kmod, Intel drivers)
> from under Xorg *and* via weston-launch.
>
> It does not work on the host A if launched directly i.e. "%
> weston-launch".
>
> The host A is:
>
> % uname -a
> FreeBSD AmaDeuS 11.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p1 #0: Sun Aug
> 12 19:40:55 JST 2018     denis@AmaDeuS:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AMADEUS
> amd64
> % pkg info | egrep "drm|gpu|mesa"
> drm-next-kmod-4.11.g20180619
> gpu-firmware-kmod-g20180319_1
> libdrm-2.4.92,1
> mesa-dri-18.1.2
> mesa-libs-18.1.2

Hm, the only thing I can think of is the auth problems we have with
amdgpu starting with 4.11

https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/33

but that didn't break Weston, only Xwayland/Vulkan/OpenCL/some games.

Another breakage I remember is with amdgpu's new (4.15) display code
(compat.linuxkpi.dc="1" in /boot/loader.conf):
https://github.com/myfreeweb/weston/commit/400fdc3c1c031bac380ef93649ecfbe48ec5b912
But you're on 4.11, so you don't have that option.

Double check what's different betweet your Intel and AMD boxes, are the
permissions/groups correct, etc.