Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:12:43 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        rshea@opendoor.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too difficult for you ? (was : Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.4)

rshea@opendoor.co.nz wrote:

> Hi - Well I got zero replies from this one yesterday. I guess it was either too
> easy or too difficult - I wonder which ?

Maybe someone didnt feel like answering?
Noone is paid to answer your question, we all do this out of
our own free will. We are in no way forced, supposed to or
even asked to do this.

> I can't find anything in the Handbook
> or in 'Complete FreeBSD' which discusses this situation - am I missing
> something obvious ? Seems like a situation a lot of people must have been
> through ...

[snip]

>>..what's going to happen if I try to
>>upgrade 3.4 to 4.4.
>>
>>In particular :
>>
>>1. what's going to happen to the existing installations of :
>>
>>Apache/PHP

My installation of apache, running happily under
4.5-PRERELEASE, was installed under 3.1, IIRC, and has never
been rebuilt since.

>>MySQL

No idea, Ive never done MySQL.

>>Samba

I cant see any reason why this should break.

>>NATD

NATD is a part of the base install and will be upgraded as
well if you upgrade the rest of the system.

>>IPFW

See natd comment.

>>Perl

See natd comment.

>>I'm hoping that they will be effectively untouched (with the possible
>>exception of IPFW - see question 2) is that correct ?
>>
>>2. I recompiled the Kernel to support running IPFW after the initial
>>installation was done. Am I going to have to redo that or is there
>>some option I can take during the install to achieve the same effect ?

I only upgrade using cvsup, so Im not sure how a binary
install works.
With cvsup, you have to manually build a new kernel from the
new sources, and you can then choose to include IPFW and/or
any other kernel options you like.

>>3. What's going to happen to users/groups etc ?

Backup /etc before doing it, and you should be fine.

>>4. Are config files such as inetd.conf going to get overwritten ?

Possible. If you do this by cvsup, you will have to manually
answer if a config file should be installed or not when
running mergemaster. Again, I do not know how a binary
install handles this.

Dont blame me if the upgrade goes wrong.

As said, I have never done a binary upgrade, and can only speak out of my personal experience with cvsup upgrades.