Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 01:08:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        don@PartsNow.com, nate@mt.sri.com, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> Actually, I have a simpler question how can anyone describe
> singularity -- where the laws of physics as we now today
> breakdown. Assuming of course that black holes and singularity
> exists....

A black hole is not a singularity, per se, except for the idea that
that ds/dt goes to zero at the Schwartzchild Radius (which is
inside the event horizon).

If you think about it, once the escape velocity is the speed of light,
then the Lorentz Transformation implies that all matter falling into
the hole will cease experiencing time at that point.  If it can't
experience time, it can't experience velocity.  The amount of time
that would have to necessarily pass for it to reach this point exceeds
by O(1) infinity the age of the universe.

So technically, nothing has ever fallen *into* a "black hole" ...yet.

8-).

Actually, it's no more nonsensical to think of pair anihillation in
a black hole than it is to think of pair production at the edge of
the event horizon (as we believe is happening at Cygnus XI).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.