Date:      Tue, 12 May 2020 11:51:17 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ekalavya <ekalavya.bsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Trond =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Endrest=F8l?= <trond.endrestol@ximalas.info>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot load intel driver(i915kms) without screen blanking out

Allow me a short addition:

On Tue, 12 May 2020 08:19:08 +0530 (IST), Ekalavya wrote:
> I actually solved the problem just before I saw your reply. I was using
> syscons, and when I read some of the boot messages, I saw a few lines
> about kern.vt.* under the i915kms driver. I realised what had happened
> and changed the console driver. Thanks for your reply.
>
> But still,  I don't understand why the i915kms driver would be written
> just for the vt console driver. Why is the intel driver limited to vt,
> considering a lot of people (and the handbook, for instance) often use
> syscons?

"Nobody" uses syscons (sc) anymore, as vt became the default.
Sure, it cannot do everything sc could do (for decades, in
the proper, predictable, and expected way), and there are
significant limitations and inconveniences (screen size
definition, font selection, colors etc.), but any system
that runs X will also have to use vt. In addition to vt,
the correct DRM module usually has to be loaded, plus of
course the appropriate driver for X needs to be installed
(for example, xf86-video-intel).

Only for systems that do _not_ run X, choosing sc is still
possible with

	kern.vty="sc"

in /boot/loader.conf, changing the default setting from vt.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany