Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:43:16 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Anthony Hoelzle <pentium@cio.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: remote login "root"

> I can't log in as root from a remote host, how can I change this? I know
> I can just su to root, but I would still like to just login once. thanks

Using su doesn't involve logging in twice.  Allowing yourself to
login as root from remote machines makes it esier for other
people to do the same and is regarded as stupid, which is why
it's turned off by default.

Better than using su or logging in as root is to install sudo
and use it to allow you to whatever you want.

If you're determined to login remotely as root, read the man
page for ttys(5) and look at references to "secure".  Be aware
that you will learn to regret this one day.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>