Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:29:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcs.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: COMCONSOLE: a patch and a problem

Given all the talk about serial consoles, I've been playing with them as well.

This is what I've done.
	- Modified sysinstall to work with a serial console or graphics
	  console.  This means you can install a machine without a graphics
	  card.  (it is a little messy when loading packages, I should
	  probably turn that off, but I did load a system via the serial
 	  port).
	- Hacked the biosboot code to echo and take input from both the
	  graphics screen/keyboard and com1.  This way I can control the boot
	  by either the normal console or serial console.  It would be nice
	  if I could save the boot mode for the default of the next boot.
	  I also filter out garbage from the serial port incase a mouse
	  is connected to it and is talking back.  One problem would be
	  trying to screen out a modem on com1 talking back ... is this
	  very common?  Also with the method, I don't have to worry about
	  keyboard probes but may have to for a serial port.
	  I'm not sure if this is that good of an idea, but it works pretty
	  well and it was kind of neat to try.
	- Run getty on /dev/console and not on /dev/ttyv0, so I get a console
	  getty no matter which way I boot.

The advantage of this stuff is to simplify remote (or lazy) debugging of stuff.
It is nice to be able to steal the console and do everything via a serial
port and then return it to normal operations.

Doug A.