Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:22:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        marc@bowtie.nl
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Other Linux stuff...

In local.freebsd-current you write:

>> > This may be a really stupid question, but what on Earth do they gain by
>> > allowing the execution of shared object files?
>>
>> The only gain I see, if you can call it a gain, is that you can get
>> non-trivial information out of a shared object from within scripts, but
>> I don't know if this has been the reason. If you don't allow execution
>> of shared objects, you have to use dlopen(3) and call some functions or
>> query some variables.
>>

>Would it be possible to write a small wrapper to load the shared library
>and execute some entryfunction to get it started? I suppose that's what
>the elf-loader under linux does.

>If so that would be a simple addition to the linux-lib port.

Personally, I wouldn't mind being able to run "ldd" on native shared
libraries as well (that is how it works on solaris).  I can never remember
the right flags to "objdump" to get the dependency information...

I don't know quite how it works, but from ldd(1) on solaris 7:

FILES
     /usr/lib/lddstub
               Fake executable loaded to check  the  dependencies
               of shared objects.

   $.02,
   /Mikko
--