Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2013 14:47:58 +0200
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ipfilter pre-Vendor Import Issue

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> I think the main distinction here is whether the adaptions to
> FreeBSD are kept local (resulting in almost a fork) or are fed
> upstream so that successive updates require less or no local
> changes.
>
> Having the kernel part in sys/netpfil certainly makes it easier
> for kernel people to adjust it to changed realities.
>
> IIRC ipfilter also has very messy ifdef's all over the place for
> every possible ancient version of FreeBSD.  This probably should
> be cleaned up (and upstreamed) as well.

At one point in time, I believed that this was the right thing to do
as it allowed new code to work with older systems. That was
back when there was little ifdef's... now it is #ifdef hell.

However almost nobody cares about this so at some point in the
future, I'll join with the masses and new versions or patches will
just work with the latest whatever.

If the code being imported removed lots of ifdef code that is
irrelevant, I don't think anyone will be upset...

Cheers,
Darren