Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 12:43:44 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Peter Jeremy' <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: a two-level port system?

> Disadvantages:
> - Unpacked ports will use about twice as much disk space (3 times if
>   you include the original CVS archive).
> - ar(1) may need some tweaks to allow pathnames (not just filenames)
>   as object names (and maybe to create directories).
> - Updating ports is not as easy (the port needs to be
> unpacked/repacked
>   in the same order, with modification times and gid/uid maintained
>   to stop the deltas bloating).
>
> Comments anyone?

	[ML]  That is exactly the same idea I had, using a pseudoshar (a
Perl script, actually)  I'm working on it :)
	The script is a 100-liner, and the pseudoshar format is chosen
so that no ownership and time information is stored in it, thus keeping
deltas minimal.  Furthermore, the files are included in alphabetic
order, again reducing the deltas.

	I will be adding port_info as well, capable of browsing embedded
DESC, CONTENTS, etc files.
	port_make will automatically extract the files and create
directories and then change the directory to the port top (and thus the
current dependency build changes from

	cd <depends-upon>
	make install

	port_make <depends-upon>
	make install

	port_make will take additional make targets, and if present do
the make with targets as well.
	Thusly,

	port_make <category/port> install

	will do the whole thing.