Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2010 07:34:26 -0400
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The nightmarish problem of installing a printer

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:27:13 +0200
dan <glimp@live.com> articulated:

> 2 - HP Photosmart C3180.
> Once I installed HPLIP and adjusted some permissions I used a hp sw
> tool to update the CUPS printers' database (all with the __default__
> 8.1 kernel). I then Succesfully printed a test page and successfully
> tested the device as a scanner (blank scanning of the plate).
>

> The "annoying" and computer-time-consuming part was recompiling gtk
> and qt with CUPS support, that was not the default when I first
> installed everything.
> In the end, CUPS was also easy to use to share the 1st printer in our
> small and simple network.

I used the HPLIP port in conjunction with CUPS to get my home c6180
printer working. The FAX portion sucks, and probably always will. I
just FAX from one of my Windows machines when the need arises. The
printing thought is adequate. I still have not figured out how to get
the CF, XD, etc ports to work with FreeBSD. They do work with Windows,
so I know that they are working correctly. Luckily, I rarely utilize
them anyway.

I was wondering what "hp sw tool to update the CUPS printers' database"
you are referring to.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user@seibercom.net