Date:      Mon, 29 May 1995 08:42:21 +0159 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@freebsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        cihat@dirac.localnet.com (Cihat Ozhasoglu)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: olwm

> I have ftped olwm and olvwm (olvwm-4.1.tgz) from ftp.cdrom.com.  This is
> supposedly the latest version from the "/packages" directory.  However,
> when I type olwm to start OpenLook, I get an error saying "Cannot connect
> to NULL DISPLAY."   How can I fix this problem?  I tried using /dev/ttyv0
> and a few others but nothing seems to work.

olwm is only a window-manager. You need to have already X-windows running.
It doesn't start up X-windows.
If you have set up X correctly to match your video-card and your display,
try a "xinit" and then type in the "xterm" that pops up "olwm" to start
up the window manager.

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.10  Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe