Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:28:58 -0700
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unprivileged users are able to kill certain jailed processes

On Feb 6, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

>>> Yes, I can prevent from overlapping UIDs, but how to prevent =20
>>> from  that if host administrator and jail administrator are two  =20
>>> independent parties? It requires much more carefulness and  =20
>>> precautions.
>>

>> Well, the host admin, when detailing services and responsibilities =20=

>> to  the jail admin (I have a similar situation), can tell the jail =20=

>> admin  which range of UIDs to use for new users.  I typically use =20
>> the last  byte of the IP address * 100 as the base.
>>
>> Eg, say a jail is 192.168.1.100 then they can start with 10000 as =20
>> a  UID and go up to 10100.
>>
>> Additionally, the host should ideally have no users but the bare  =20
>> minimum for the admin.  All the "host"-based users and services  =20
>> should ideally be in their own jail.
>

> Genrally at Vicor, we had a rule that either all users were in =20
> jails, or none were..
> A Jail server wasn't considered part of the resources available to =20
> users, only the jails themselves.

Exactly.  Our jail servers have a login account only for those admin =20
personnel who need to admin the server itself.  It is ONLY accessible =20=

through certificate protected ssh (no passwords allowed) and no =20
services run on the jail server itself, only services in jails, so =20
the only open port on the jail server itself is the sshd one...

Best
Chad