Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2002 22:41:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AprilAire 8870 and FreeBSD?

I am about to install an AprilAire 8870 communicating thermostat to add
HVAC control to my home automation setup. Has anyone written anything for
this thermostat (or the statnet protocol) for FreeBSD?

Alternately, if I indeed have to write my own interface program, where
can I find example code that handles the serial port in C? (I haven't
gotten around to learning C++) I plan to poll the thermostat after
sending commands, so I don't need to worry about interrupts (I don't
think), and I have the full protocol from the manufacturer.

At this point, I would like to roughly duplicate "bottlerocket", and use
Perl scripts to handle the logic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Seth Henry