Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:39:12 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl
Cc:        freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl, Lenderman22@aol.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to get FreeBSD [was: help!]

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:18:36 +0200
Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl> wrote:

> You can install FreeBSD in different ways. One is online install. You
> need to have a connection before you install. So you probably wan't
> to download the cd before you install.
>
> You can download this with ftp from ftp.freebsd.org (login anonymous)
> then go to the directory: /pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.6/ and
> download either disc1.iso. If you want to limit the donwload you could
> try mini.iso, but you miss out on a lot of stuf.

(Sorry for the duplicate message, I didn't hit reply-all). If you're not a Unix neewbie get the mini-iso if you're on dialup. Then get X Windows and other goodies via the ports collection. Downloading 600 megabyte ISOs via dialup is a long and error-prone process.

> Another option is to buy the cd. I looked around for a wail but i
> didn't find the site where you can buy these.

bsdmall sells them. CompUSA is also a good place for them, they were selling FreeBSD Power Pack for half price ($50) last time I checked. (The base CD set, plus tools CDs and a manual.)