Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:43:47 -0000
From:      "James Raftery" <jraftery@wrdp.com>
To:        "Peter Brock" <peer@interquad.net>, "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Root Partitions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Brock" <peer@interquad.net>
To: "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2000 3:34 AM
Subject: Root Partitions

> Alright i wanna spark a debate.. Can someone tell me why it is
recomended to
> devided your hd into seperate slices for / /usr and /var? Why not put
> everything on a single partition and be done with it? I have a few
setups
> with just a root partition and everything is working great.

For the average home user I would suggest using a single slice for / and
be done with it. It's less hassle, more flexible and not likely to cause
any problems.
But for a busy/important machine compartmentalising limits the scope of
any filesystem issues to bring down to whole machine, for the reasons
given by the others in this thread.

Regards,

james