Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2017 00:34:06 +0100
From:      Domagoj Stolfa <domagoj.stolfa@gmail.com>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ASLR

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

Hello,

> For better or worse the term ASLR is today in common use to refer to a
> number of different approaches. Using what has become a generic term
> allows the implementation to change in the future, without changing
> the interface (e.g. sysctls, userland tools, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, ASR is the approach that was first taken by the PaX te=
am in
an attempt to randomize mmaps. It later evolved into ASLR, however I do agr=
ee
that one should call this ASLR for compatibility reasons in the future.

> I wish there was a concise, technical comparison of the approaches
> implemented by different operating systems, but I've unfortunately not
> found one.

FWIW, ASLR is just a workaround and has it's weaknesses[1], but is a workar=
ound
I would like to see implemented in FreeBSD, be it ASLR or ASR, until a prop=
er
solution comes along.

[1] https://www.blackhat.com/docs/asia-16/materials/asia-16-Marco-Gisbert-E=
xploiting-Linux-And-PaX-ASLRS-Weaknesses-On-32-And-64-Bit-Systems-wp.pdf

--=20
Best regards,
Domagoj Stolfa

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK