Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 15:08:28 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.worldwide.lemis.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: programmer's editor choice

On Friday, 21 January 2000 at 23:39:12 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> Not to start a war or anything, but i'm trying to decide on a fast
> powerful editor.  I've been using joe, and i just started learning
> vi, and i like it so far.  But there are new editors and new
> versions of vi that seem to have a lot to offer.  I've narrowed it
> down to vi, an enhanced version of vi (vile or vim?) uemacs, or joe.
> ANy thoughts?

If you want a really powerful editor, and you don't want to relearn
the way you think, you'd be better off using real Emacs than uemacs,
which is a bit of a toy.  vi and its derivatives are also powerful,
but they require a lot of rethinking, and I don't think they're as
powerful anyway.

> I'd like to be able to cut and paste within the editor and between
> xterms.

You can only do that up to a point with vi.  vi doesn't understand X,
so it runs in an xterm.  Emacs in X mode will copy the last cut text
to the X cut buffer, so you can paste it into an xterm, but also use
it in Emacs.

> I really like the efficiency of vi so far, but i have a long ways to
> go before i am proficient.

It's a steep curve.

Greg