Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:07:08 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SENDMAIL rejecting connections

On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 02:26:33PM -0800, Randy A. Katz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry if this question has been posed before but I'm in a small bind.
> Sendmail is saying rejecting connections on ports 25: load average (it must
> be too high). This is on a high load server. Is there any way of increasing
> the value or telling sendmail that it shouldn't turn off.
>
> HELP!!!
>
> Thanx,
> Randy Katz

Hello Randy,

What version of sendmail is your system running?

  sendmail -d0.1 < /dev/null

If your system is running V8.7 or newer, set `RefuseLA' to a higher value
in /etc/sendmail.cf and HUP sendmail. I believe it defaults to 12.

   # load average at which we refuse connections
   O RefuseLA=12

If your system is running an older version of sendmail, set `X' to a
higher value in /etc/sendmail.cf and HUP sendmail.

   # load average at which we refuse connections
   OX12

If you want to disable the load average checking (not that I am recommending it),
try

   #define LA_TYPE     LA_ZERO

in the appropriate section (BSD 4.4) of /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/src/conf.h,
then build and install the new version.

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.