Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 2004 07:06:47 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guide to x.org update?

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 05:29 am, Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
wrote:
> I followed Matthew's instructions to upgrade from XFree86-4.3 to X.org and
> it worked well.  It took about 14 hours on my laptop (a P3 with 64Mb or
> RAM).  I have not recompiled any other packages and I haven't had any
> troubles so far.
>
> Here's how I did it exactly:

<snip useful upgrade info>

I know this post was from a few weeks ago, but I just wanted to thank you
profusely for this info. After considering that XFree86 will no longer be the
default X server in FreeBSD soon, and that many distros are also switching,
in addition to the fact that XFree86 doesn't recognize my video card no
matter what I did, I finally took the plunge and installed X.org. Thanks to
your explicit instructions, so far it's running without a hitch (and now I
can also get 1600X1200 resolution, a necessary thing on my 21" monitor). I
had considered just yanking XFree and installing X.org, but I'm pleased to
know a better method that allows portupgrade to get the new dependencies
correct.

Kudos.

- jt