Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:03:01 -0600
From:      Gary Gatten <Ggatten@waddell.com>
To:        'John Baldwin' <jhb@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Andrew Moran <amoran@forsythia.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: msk0 interface stops working when downloading

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@f=
reebsd.org] On Behalf Of John Baldwin
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 8:54 AM
To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc: Andrew Moran; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:25:06 pm Andrew Moran wrote:
>=20
> Hey guys,
>=20
> After banging my head against this for a few hours, I've decided to ask f=
or=20
help.      I installed FreeBSD 8.1 amd64 on a Shuttle J1 4100 system (tech=
=20
specs here http://us.shuttle.com/J1_4100.aspx).   I installed from DVD and =
the=20
install went fine.
>=20
> I notice when I pkg_add -r anything,  the network stops responding.=20
>=20
> Some details:
>=20
> 1) I can reproduce it 100% by downloading a large file.     low traffic l=
ike=20
the SSH connection does not trigger it.   I think it's being triggered by=
=20
traffic above a certain rate.=20
> 2) I can recover by restarting the network interfaces (/etc/rc.d/netif st=
op;=20=20
/etc/rc.d/netif start)
> 3) I see no errors in dmesg or /var/log/messages.  Nothing at all.
> 4) I've tried the following in /etc/sysctl.conf:
> net.inet.tcp.tso=3D0
> net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable=3D0
>=20
> and in /boot/loader.conf:
> hw.pci.enable_msix=3D"0"
> hw.pci.enable_msi=3D"0"
> hw.bce.tso_enable=3D"0"
>=20
> But the problem persists.
>=20
> The interface is identified as:
>=20
> mskc0: <Marvell Yukon 88E8057 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem=20
0xfebfc000-0xfebfffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci2
> msk0: <Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon Ultra 2 Id 0xba Rev 0x00> on=
=20
mskc0
> msk0: Ethernet address: 80:ee:73:01:60:7d
> miibus0: <MII bus> on msk0
> e1000phy0: <Marvell 88E1149 Gigabit PHY> PHY 0 on miibus0
> e1000phy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT,=20
1000baseT-FDX, auto
> mskc0: [ITHREAD]

When I've seen this on my netbook I did a tcpdump on another machien on the=
=20
same hub and found that my msk0 device was spewing an endless stream of pau=
se=20
frames.  I've only had this problem with a gigE switch, it works fine for m=
e=20
on a 10/100 switch.

--=20
John Baldwin

" When I've seen this on my netbook I did a tcpdump on another machien on t=
he same hub and found that my msk0 device was spewing an endless stream of =
pause frames. "

If there's an option to disable Ethernet flow control, (commonly used on Gi=
g stuff) perhaps disabling it will prevent the unwanted "spewing".  Unwaant=
ed spewing is always bad.

n 0in 1.0pt 0in'>
"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
 and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
 any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
 and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
 return email and delete this email from your system."

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?9549_1291057382_4CF3F8E6_9549_238_1_D9B37353831173459FDAA836D3B43499A7AF8D81>